[lsb-discuss] Installation directories

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Sat Dec 16 20:19:46 PST 2006

>However, this does bring up the question of browser plugins..
>Presumably, RealPlayer wants to install one of those, so wouldn't
>it have to install something into /usr even with the icon? Or is
>there an xdg util for that?

Good to hear someone else asking this question, LSB old-timers
are already sick of hearing me ask it over the last number of
years.  The current concept of "ownership" which says each place
has an owner and others should stay out (e.g. distro "owns"
/usr/lib, Real "owns" /opt/real, etc.) has real trouble with
plugin architectures where many entities may contribute parts
to a piece of software through plugins.