[lsb-discuss] Installation directories

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Sun Dec 17 04:55:30 PST 2006

On 12/16/06, Wichmann, Mats D <mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> wrote:

> >However, this does bring up the question of browser plugins..
> >Presumably, RealPlayer wants to install one of those, so wouldn't
> >it have to install something into /usr even with the icon? Or is
> >there an xdg util for that?
>
> Good to hear someone else asking this question, LSB old-timers
> are already sick of hearing me ask it over the last number of
> years.  The current concept of "ownership" which says each place
> has an owner and others should stay out (e.g. distro "owns"
> /usr/lib, Real "owns" /opt/real, etc.) has real trouble with
> plugin architectures where many entities may contribute parts
> to a piece of software through plugins.

I think xdg-utils is the right approach here--namely, disallowing
applications from modifying stuff outside of their /opt directory
directly, but providing an "API" for doing things in a structured
manner (create desktop icon, start service at boot time, etc.).

Speaking of that last bit, we should look at reviving lsbinstall as
well for the non-desktop equivalent of xdg-utils. The right way
to make this work is to create a canonical upstream
version, similar to what freedesktop.org has done for xdg-utils.

We can either promote the tool with the distros to try to get them
to adopt it, or we could bundle it with the SDK to make it easy for
apps to include in their postinst etc. scripts (we should do
this for xdg-utils as well). The latter is probably the best option.

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590