[lsb-discuss] Adding statfs interfaces

Nick Stoughton nick at usenix.org
Tue Dec 19 09:42:55 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 22:45 -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> The problem is that we don't have a lot of free space in the
> kernel<->userspace data structure.  We currently only have 20 bytes of
> "f_filler" space (we call it f_spare).  I could imagine trying to
> convince folks to use 12 of those bytes for f_basetype, but it means
> chewing up a lot of the rest of spare space --- and after that we
> would have to allocate two new system calls.

Since f_basetype is not standardized (it is just used by Solaris), you
don't need to follow their lead exactly. All that is missing from the
Linux statvfs structure is a way to determine the file system type ...
what in statfs is in the "long f_type" field ... so you need only use 4
of the 20 f_filler bytes to remove the problem.

--
Nick