[lsb-discuss] announcing the new LSB Packaging workgroup

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Wed Dec 20 11:05:27 PST 2006

Hi all,

This is just to announce the formation of a new FSG workgroup, LSB
Packaging, which is being formed as the result of the recent Packaging
Summit in Berlin
(http://www.freestandards.org/en/LSB_face-to-face_%28December_2006%29).

We went into the Summit with the following goals:

  ISVs want to use their own installation methods (e.g., an
  installation script or a cross-platform installation
  framework like InstallAnywhere) rather than using the distros' native
  package systems. The reasons are varied, but typically have to do with
  controlling the user experience and providing better cross-platform
  support, since Linux is almost always just one platform that's supported
  among others. Current methods simply dump files in the file system and
  integrate poorly with the underlying package systems. The solution
  proposed at the LSB face to face in June is to construct an API to the
  package systems (dpkg, RPM, APT?, yum?) so that higher level installer
  frameworks can register with them. That way, third parties
  can completely control the installation experience, yet the end result
  is properly integrated with the distros' software management
  tools. More discussion is needed here, making it squarely a 4.0 issue.

We met our goals and more. I described the problem in this blog post:

http://ianmurdock.com/?p=388

and summarized the high level points of the Packaging Summit in this
blog post:

http://ianmurdock.com/?p=391

I'll let this simmer a day or so to allow people to join the mailing list,
then I'll post the first straw man go at an API over on packaging at .

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590