[lsb-discuss] LSB conference call agenda (Tuesday, July 11, 11am ET)

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Tue Jul 11 16:42:31 PDT 2006

At 2006/7/11 06:40-0700  Wichmann, Mats D writes:

> >    2. It asked me to type the root password at least 18 times.
>
> The lsb-runtime-test guys wanted to avoid another dependency on
> a non-LSB thing that was required to *run* the tests, but not
> required for conformance - in this case expect or some similar
> functionality that could save the initially entered root password
> and feed it as input to other queries.  As you know this can't
> just be done with "ordinary" shell scripting...  and also, this
> is just a technical problem, there's gotta be a way to solve it.

Yea, this is was due to partly not wanting to change upstream packages
and not wanting to cache the root password at anytime. Probably the
easiest way to solve it would be just to cache the root password and
warn users of the test suite that this is happening. I don't think the
test suites aren't particulary secure anyway (setuid programs left
around).

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group