[lsb-discuss] Printing for 3.2

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Fri Jul 14 08:55:47 PDT 2006

Fujinaka, Todd wrote:
> I've been asked to discuss Till's suggestions for printing in LSB 3.2.
> In summary, I don't think there's anything ready at the moment. I'm
> posting this to make sure my assumptions are correct.

The only requirement for inclusion in LSB 3.2 is that it be shipping in
the current generation of the major distros, which practically speaking
means will be available in a Service Pack or Update to RHEL 5, SLES 10,
etc. In that sense, it's entirely possible the printer driver directory
layout is a candidate, as my understanding is that it's been designed to
be a minimally invasive as possible (i.e., it could be layer atop
whatever the distro currently uses, rather than requiring wholesale
changes, which are clearly inappropriate for a Service Pack release).
So, I wouldn't write anything off yet, particularly since we have a
whole year to reach consensus on what is and what isn't realistic to
go into the Service Pack releases. In the meantime, we should proceed by
building optional modules (like we did for Qt 4 in LSB 3.1), so we're
ready to go if and when the standards get adopted by the distro vendors.

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590