[lsb-discuss] LSB conference call agenda (Tuesday, July 11, 11am ET)

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Sat Jul 15 18:49:13 PDT 2006

>> How about sudo? We could provide an lsb-sudo package to close the
>> dependency loop, as we do with Python (though that's probably
>> going away in LSB 3.2).
>>

>Yes, and in practice sudo is going to be around on pretty much all
>distributions anyway. But it is important to configure it such that
>the vsx0 user has a very long password timeout. Otherwise on slow
>machines it will expire and the scripts controlling the test process
>will get out of sync.
>
>IIRC some of the times gaining root privileges are part of the lower
>level infrastructure which I really tried to avoid forking when
>putting the test suites together (otherwise it made things harder when
>merging in newer versions). So Mats suggestion of using expect also
>has its advantages too.

I think the only time in question is the ten or so prompts
during the initial interactive setup, before the tests start
running.  Tests which need privilege are already constructed
so that they have it (that is, unless you run into one of
alien bugs and the package doesn't get converted right :)
so I don't think those are really at issue.  The disadvantage
of a special sudo package is I can almost promise we're going
to trip over SElinux rules in some manner.