[lsb-discuss] Number of prompts for root password (was LSB conference call agenda (Tuesday, July 11, 11am ET))

Andrew Josey ajosey at rdg.opengroup.org
Mon Jul 17 00:14:24 PDT 2006

> I don't think the
> test suites aren't particulary secure anyway (setuid programs left
> around).

Yes the original test suite documentation cautions against using the
test suite on machines where security is a concern.

I think we could reduce the overall number of prompts for the password
significantly by running a bunch  of the install scripts that required
privilege under one single invocation (possibly just have each package
have a privileged script dir and invoke them all in a single pass). The
approach taken at the moment allows flexibility to allow more plug-in
modules, and as more modules have been added it has got cumbersome.
regards
Andrew