[lsb-discuss] [Printing-architecture] resend notes from last week

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Tue Jul 25 04:29:24 PDT 2006

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>>> Are more directories needed?
>>
>> /usr/local/share/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>
>> /usr/local/lib/printdrivers/<supplier>
>>

> Is it not enough agreeing on one ofthe pairs
>
> /usr/local/share/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>
> /usr/local/lib/printdrivers/<supplier>
>
> and
>
> /opt/printing/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>/
> /opt/printing/drivers/<supplier>/
>
> Why are both pairs needed?

/usr/local is where system administrators can install printer drivers
(say, downloaded manually from linuxprinting.org), and /opt is where
vendors can install printer drivers (say, installed via an LSB package
downloaded from the vendor's website) that aren't shipped as part of
the operating system. Question: Is /opt/printing consistent with the
FHS? Wouldn't it be /opt/<vendor>? Yes, that means there's no
canonical place for vendors to drop printer drivers so they
are available system-wide, but that's the equivalent problem of
not having a single path element for third-party
executables, and should presumably be solved in the same manner.

(Adding lsb-discuss to this discussion, so we can get FHS feedback.)

--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590