[lsb-discuss] [Printing-architecture] resend notes from lastweek

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Tue Jul 25 07:39:15 PDT 2006

At 2006/7/25 15:06+0200  Till Kamppeter writes:
> Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> > it's possible we could conceive a less scattered scheme for
> > printer drivers - I'm envisioning something like reserving
> > /opt/printing with LANANA, then providing a way to manage
> > that namespace so it can be shared, perhaps through a second
> > registry.
> >

> This means that if LANANA registers /opt/printing we can agree on only
> the pair
>
> /opt/printing/ppd/<supplier>/<manufacturer>/
> /opt/printing/drivers/<supplier>/
>
> as the only PPD/driver directories?

So am I correct in assuming that the files if shipped as part
of a distribution normally go into:

/usr/share/ppd
/usr/lib/drivers

If there is distro agreement here, we should get this put into the FHS
as well.

I'm not convinced that we need to add /opt/printing

The /opt/<vendor> technique should still work, and for convenience
symlinks can be created in /opt/share/ppd and /opt/lib/drivers to the
actual files. If you use LANANA, strictly speaking you could just
install straight into /opt/share and /opt/lib because you know there
won't be any clashes, but I'd still strongly recommend using symlinks
instead as it keeps the design simpler and consistent.

Of course, LANANA is still of use to ensure that you don't clashes
with the symlinks.

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group