[lsb-discuss] [Printing-architecture] resend notes from lastweek

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Tue Jul 25 11:55:28 PDT 2006

At 2006/7/25 19:26+0200  Till Kamppeter writes:

> Would the suggestion with /opt/share/ppd/<supplier> and
> /opt/lib/printerdrivers/<supplier> for third-party drivers need a change
> on FHS?

ppd and printerdriver is not mentioned in the FHS at all. The list in
the spec is not meant to be universal, with the description for the
various areas meant to make it straightforward to work out where to
put stuff. But I think in this case its significant enough to warrant
inclusion. So we'd need to add some text for /usr/share/ppd and
/usr/lib/printerdrivers.

This would actually effectively cover the use of opt[1] as well *but* the
files installed by the package would have to go into /opt/<vendor> [2]

I don't think I've seen yet a good reason not to do this and create
symlinks from /opt/share and /opt/lib into the /opt/<vendor> tree.

Clashes can be resolved via LANANA (we might want to mention this in
the spec), or by the standard way clashes are resolved in /opt/lib,
/opt/bin, etc (ie. resolved by the local admin). Given its new, it
might be worth adding some non normative text to the spec that
clarifies where 3rd party printer drivers are meant to installed.

Chris

[1] See section 3.13.2 of the FHS spec. /usr/local basically says,
"the hierarchy under here is just like under /usr" and /opt says
"the hierarchy under here is just like under /usr, but you install
in /opt/<vendor> and can provide symlinks from /opt/lib, etc to
the vendor directories

[2] We don't need to specify any structure under /opt/<vendor>