[lsb-discuss] X11 libraries requested for future LSB spec

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Sun Jun 18 16:51:11 PDT 2006

Based on what I've been hearing, these libraries have
had serious recent requests for addition to the LSB:

libXcomposite
libXdamage
libXfixes
libXft
libxkbfile, libxkbui

Most of these requests come from the FSG Accessibility
workgroup. Xft is the exception; but it's needed to be
able to enable reasonable UTF8 processing without having
to go to higher-level toolkits or putting some low-level
routines in libX11 into the spec (these routines are
not popular and we've been asked not to standardize them).
At least in the form of the two people I've checked with,
upstream (x.org) is okay with these.

There are probably other libraries that ought to get
serious consideration (I've updated our overview page a
little bit over the last week:
http://www.freestandards.org/en/WheresMyLibrary) but
I don't suggest we push any others unless there's
serious demand since as anybody who's done one will
tell you, it's a lot of work to add a new library;
LSB 4.0 makes a more natural place to expand.

The question becomes how rapidly to proceed: target
3.2, 4.0, or some sort of hybrid (e.g. Optional in 3.2)?