[lsb-discuss] bzr commit access (was Re: New Version Control Migration Trial)

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Mon Jun 19 12:11:32 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 11:32 -0400, Jeff Licquia wrote:
>  - I am still setting up the patch queue manager, and expect to make
> commit access available to the trial repos soon.

Commit access is now available via PQM.  I'm not sure we've got all the
kinks worked out, but it seems ready enough to try out.

First of all, since this is a trial, and since the LSB repos are still
following CVS, be aware that ALL COMMITS THERE WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
DAILY!  That is, when I do the pull from CVS, any commits done via PQM
will be blown away, as if they never happened.  On the other hand, any
changes you make to bzr repositories can be re-merged once a day as long
as you maintain your own branches.  Of course, if you want to make real
changes to LSB projects, CVS continues to be the right place to do it.

Also, PQM is only enabled for the LSB projects.  It's expected that each
unofficial tree will have an owner, and that the owner will take care of
merging and write directly to the repo.  Other workgroups are also
starting to use bzr; enabling PQM for those will be coordinated with
those workgroups separately.

For now, access to PQM requires shell access; I will be working on a way
to submit PQM merge requests via an authenticated Web page.

So, with all the disclaimers out of the way, here's how to use PQM:

 - Branch a project, and make changes to it in the usual way, committing
your changes as usual.

 - Publish your branch somewhere.  Basically, you must be able to "bzr
branch <url>" on webservices and have it work.  In a pinch, since you
need shell access to webservices anyway, you should be able to use
file:/// URLs and upload your branch to your home directory.

 - Submit your patch request by running "pqm-submit-merge" on
webservices.  That utility has the following usage:

  pqm-submit-merge <official-branch-url> <your-branch-url> <email> <summary>

The official branch URL is the URL for the repository you want to merge
to, as served from us (such as
http://bzr.freestandards.org/lsb/3.1/appbat).  Your branch URL is the
URL you published your changes to.  Results for the merge are sent via
E-mail, which is why we need your E-mail address.  Finally, the summary
is a one-line synopsis describing the changes you made in your branch.

That's all.  PQM runs from a cron script, so within a few minutes, you
should get an E-mail telling you how the merge went, and describing any
problems if it failed.

There are a few nits that need to be worked out:

 - We need to decouple shell access from PQM merge access, via either an
authenticated web page, or via PGP-signed E-mail.

 - Right now, PQM runs as me, so all toplevel commits will look like
they came from me.  As gratifying as it might be to my ego to look like
the only person doing any work here... well, I imagine the rest of you
would like some credit. :-)  The commits from the branch's history are
preserved, but the toplevel commits should have a generic name attached
to them.