[lsb-discuss] X11 libraries requested for future LSB spec

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Mon Jun 19 17:31:21 PDT 2006

"Ian Murdock" writes...

> On a related note, it would be useful to construct a matrix of all the
> new libraries under consideration with the versions found in the major
> distros.

You mean like http://www.freestandards.org/futures/candidates/ ?

It hasn't been kept up to date recently, but not to lack of access. Anyone
with commit access to the lsbweb module can make changes. There are
instructions at,

http://www.freestandards.org/futures/candidates/README

We've also talked about having something that could automatically track
versions for us (people have mentioned Canonical's Launchpad and something
Linuxcare used to do).

It would be cool if all the Distros could make their package name and
version info available in standard way. Either that or someone write a glue
layer that can query package versions and then make them available in a
standard format.

Also, people have started using the wiki to store such info, which is maybe
more accessible but doesn't let you do fun things with displaying the data
or interesting queries.

I think that we've probably reached a point where this stuff should be put
in SQL and have a web front end for modifying it. I nearly did that when
designing the current candidate tracker, but wanted a lighter weight model
with revision history (we didn't have as much data then either). If someone
wanted to take all this on and create the ultimate standards tracking tool,
that would be really cool.

--
Matt Taggart        Open Source & Linux Organization R&D
taggart at fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard