[lsb-discuss] GNOME certification

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Thu Jun 22 04:13:45 PDT 2006

Sorry for the top posting (Hi Matt!) and brevity, but I'm in Moscow now
and very poorly connected.. My thoughts, brief as they may be:

As others have mentioned, building this is a superset of LSB would be a
great start. From an ISV point of view, the ideal situation is to
provide a complete set of desktop interfaces in the LSB that work the
same regardless of whether the user is running GNOME or KDE; but we're
not there yet, so I can understand the motiviations for a GNOME-specific
certification. Still, I hope we can achieve the desired interoperability
over time, so that apps aren't built to target GNOME or KDE specifically
but rather the "Linux desktop" generally. In terms of the things listed in
the to-do list: We've spent a lot of time thinking about these issues over
the years, and have an infrastructure for testing, certification, branding
etc. Perhaps this project could be done utilizing the LSB infrastructure?
That would certainly help promote the desired convergence over time--things
appear first in the GNOME-specific module(s), and are migrated into
the LSB proper over time as the freedesktop.org specifications etc. mature.

Just a few initial thoughts.

-ian