[lsb-discuss] LSB futures tracker: Rendezvous

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Jun 22 07:15:02 PDT 2006

I notice someone created an LSB Futures tracker item
for Apple's Rendezvous.

http://www.freestandards.org/futures/candidates/rendezvous/index.html

Besides the fact that they now call the technology
Bonjour, I think the problem statement is wrong, it
shouldn't be "add Rendezvous to the LSB because
somebody asked for it", I think it should be to add
automated network service discovery similar to how
it's provided by Bonjour.  This is being worked on
by a few projects, and I notice Avahi is starting to
appear in a few distributions - the avahi.org page
claims:

Avahi is currently part of the following distributions:

    * Debian (unstable & testing)
    * Ubuntu
    * Fedora Core
    * Mandriva (cooker)
    * FreeBSD Ports
    * Gentoo
    * ArchLinux
    * Foresight

So should this tracker be updated, or just thrown
away and a new one started?

Any comments on the general topic?