[lsb-discuss] Test cases for libncurses

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:23:29 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 05:32:46AM -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> The window system tests (xts5) might provide a conceptual model as they
> also have to create a window for almost every test. Of course curses and
> X11 use different programming models so there may not be much
> commonality.

I would assume that if we were to implement such a framework, it would
be to take a VT100 emulator, and create an in-memory virtual 80x24
textual display, and then compare the expected output after various
curses operations.  (Since there may be various vt100 output sequences
that have the same effect on the screen, and ultimately that's what we
care about, not the specific escape sequences emitted by curses
library).  Creating such a framework isn't difficult, conceptually,
but probably tedious; the sort of thing that could probably farmed out
to a Google Summer of Code student, say.

> There is a test suite for the Single Unix Specification curses
> interface, but it's licensed code, not freely available. I don't
> have access to it.

Is this one that might be potentially available for sale?  If so, it
might be interesting to see how much it would cost to get it released
as GPL'ed code.

						- Ted