[lsb-discuss] LSB futures tracker: Rendezvous

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Fri Jun 23 14:47:17 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 04:48:31PM -0400, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> This may not be all that interesting, since it seems from my quick
> observations that Avahi is taking over in the non-Mac Unix space, so we
> can just standardize Avahi's registration procedure.  This does, though,
> implicitly bring in the CUPS question: to what extent do we want to
> force an implementation on non-Linux people in the LSB?

You realize of course that CUPS is just an implementation of the IPP
(Internet Printing Protocol) protocol, which is standardized by the
IETF and whose protocol registries are maintained by the IANA
(Internet Assigned Number Authority), right?

IPP implementations *do* exist for MacOS and Windows, and there are
probably a few other propietary IPP implementation floating around for
legacy Unix systems besides just CUPS.

						- Ted