[lsb-discuss] LSB futures tracker: Rendezvous

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Mon Jun 26 10:22:50 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:05:47AM -0400, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> The Open Printing workgroup has created a generic API called PAPI which
> should be a better candidate for standardizing, but it is too new, and
> is not shipping in any current distros.  So, the question is: do we wait
> for PAPI or add CUPS now?

How desperately are ISV's calling for the ability get the list of all
printers, and the size and attributes of the paper trays, what color
paper are in them, whether the paper is 20lb or 24lb bond, whether the
pages are bunched after imaged or contain pre-punched paper.... (no
kidding, there are standards that describe all of this; by ECMA about
15 years ago IIRC, although I generally try to block it as a bad
dream :-).

If we can wait, something that can easily support multiple backend
implementations would definitely be desirable.  If the CUPS ABI can
meet that requirement, all very well and good, but it sounds like
there are concerns that it exposes too much of CUPS internals?

> As an additional wrinkle, the desktop projects also include APIs for
> printing, which might also be good candidates for standardizing.

Which API's?  We probably need to be very careful here, and find out
exactly what the ISV's actually need and in what timeframe.  Is it:

	* A way of enumerating all printers so the user can use a
		pull-down menu?
	* A way of enumerating and fetch attributes about printers,
		attributes about print trays, ways of selecting print
		trays, paper colors, etc.?
	* A generic way of print images, polygons, bitmaps, that can
		be imaged on the screen, transformed into postscript
		or PDF, etc.

						- Ted