[lsb-discuss] LSB futures tracker: Rendezvous

Fujinaka, Todd todd.fujinaka at intel.com
Mon Jun 26 12:35:47 PDT 2006

>From: lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.freestandards.org [mailto:lsb-discuss-
>bounces at lists.freestandards.org] On Behalf Of Dirk Hohndel
>
>> If we can wait, something that can easily support multiple backend
>> implementations would definitely be desirable.  If the CUPS ABI can
>> meet that requirement, all very well and good, but it sounds like
>> there are concerns that it exposes too much of CUPS internals?
>
>I think we need to wait and understand what actually is the "accepted
use"
>in the eco-system. What are the distros shipping, what are the apps
using
>today?

The distros are shipping CUPS.  Most apps I checked are generally using
their desktop (GNOME or KDE) for printing. The desktop, in turn, uses
CUPS so you can think of CUPS as a lower level of printing. In any case,
there are things that are a lot easier using CUPS, such as finding the
available printers, querying for print jobs, managing those jobs, etc.

>>> As an additional wrinkle, the desktop projects also include APIs for
>>> printing, which might also be good candidates for standardizing.
>>
>> Which API's?  We probably need to be very careful here, and find out
>> exactly what the ISV's actually need and in what timeframe.  Is it:
>>
>> * A way of enumerating all printers so the user can use a
>> pull-down menu?
>> * A way of enumerating and fetch attributes about printers,
>> attributes about print trays, ways of selecting print
>> trays, paper colors, etc.?
>> * A generic way of print images, polygons, bitmaps, that can
>> be imaged on the screen, transformed into postscript
>> or PDF, etc.
>
>That's exactly what I mean. Understand the need, and understand what
the
>different APIs offer and what is widely used / shipped. Not sure this
is
>quite ready for standardization, yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "this." CUPS is the de facto standard in
terms of use, but is not a completely open standard because there is a
main developer who sells CUPS. PAPI is an open standard, but is an
underused standard so far. IPP is a transport standard that is used
between the client and server, but is lower level than is useful for
most application developers.

Todd