[lsb-discuss] some questions

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Jun 28 05:43:23 PDT 2006

>I have studied lsb for about  two monthes,the point of work
>is test suits right now.
>but now i have some questiones as below:
>1.how is lsb union the linux?only by making the norm? or
>Offering the interface function? if it is ,where can i get the
>interface function?
>2.it is said that lsb 3.1 has unioned   gnome and kde,as we
>know,gnome and kde are two big camps in linux desktop,i want
>to know,how to union them?

I'm afraid I'm having a little trouble understanding these
questions. To answer what I think they're asking:

1. no, LSB doesn't create interfaces, it standardizes existing
best practice. there have been a few very minor exceptions
(the three commands lsb_release, install_initd and remove_initd
were invented by LSB; for lsb_release there is a sample
implementation in our cvs tree,
http://cvs.gforge.freestandards.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/si/lsb_release/?c
vsroot=lsb)

2. sometimes there's not a clear single best practice, yet
there's a need to move forward.  various approaches can be
taken, in the gtk+/qt cases we had to recognize that they
provided joint best practice for that kind of toolkit - that
one without the other would leave a very large hole. That's
probably not going to be a common case.  A more common
case is probably us being supportive of the Portland project
(http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/) which aims to produce
some basic wrappers that applications can call at install or
run time and will work whether the underlying desktop is
Gnome or KDE - this is different than which toolkit an
application is written to as those can easily coexist, this
is working with questions like how to install an icon to
the desktop.  LSB itself attempted a similar effort, but
that was not successful - see
http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-ge
neric/lsbinstall.html

it has proven better to let an interested workgroup do the
work and once it has been accepted by the Linux distributions,
it can be added to LSB as a requirement.

Is that what you were asking for?