[lsb-discuss] LSB question: ncursesw

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Wed Jun 28 20:30:59 PDT 2006

"Wichmann, Mats D" writes...

> I'd like to hear some thoughts on that. Would
> this actually add value?  Are people routinely
> shipping libncursesw?

Currently Debian ships gnu ncurses 5.5 and has separate libncurses5 and
libncursew5 packages. libncursesw5 has ~30 packages in unstable that depend
on it, libncurses5 has ~680.

I asked the Debian maintainer and he said that he intends to have the
normal libncurses5 package configured with the wide stuff in and then drop
the separate libncursesw5 package. So adding a separate "libncursew5.so.5"
might not be a good idea. If all the distros agree to do the same, then
maybe the additional requirements can just be added to the existing
libncurses in the spec. That would be nice.

--
Matt Taggart        Open Source & Linux Organization R&D
taggart at fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard