[lsb-discuss] regarding ncurses test cases

Alexey V. Khoroshilov khoroshilov at ispras.ru
Thu Jun 29 08:51:44 PDT 2006

The ISPRAS (linuxtesting.org) indeed are working on tests for libncurses.
The first useful version is expected in the OLVER 0.5 release (at the
beginning of July).

Our tests use a vt100 terminal emulator, which provides possibility to dump
the current state of the virtual screen to a file.
It allows to perform checks of requirements of the standard in terms of the
state of the virtual screen instead of check in terms of escape sequences.

Advantages of the approach are as follows:
- This level of checks is the most close to the standard.
- Smaller problems with nondeterministic behaviour, because there are a lot
of escape sequences achieving the same state of the screen by different
ways.

Drawback of the approach is a restricted set of terminal types, which could
be tested.
Because for each terminal type we have to have an emulator supporting dump
of the current state of the virtual screen to a file.

2 Nayyar Azam:
If you would like to create tests for ncurses on base of our framework, we
will be glad to provide you with all needed information.
Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.

--
Alexey Khoroshilov
khoroshilov at linuxtesting.org