[lsb-discuss] lsb version and the specdb ModCmd and ModLibtables

Camp, TracyX E tracyx.e.camp at intel.com
Wed Nov 1 08:22:24 PST 2006

>The issue with LSB spec versioning in specdb is actually
>broader than just
>for modules and libraries. We need also to take into account
>interfaces,
>headers, constants, commands, etc. The specdb should be able
>to answer which
>of these things were in each LSB version, shouldn't it?

Sure.  But lsbcc doesn't care about that directly (though obviously it
is an issue for producing a completely versionable build environment),
so I wasn't trying to solve that problem...

>The third solution is to use mixed concept - use separate tables for
>Libraries and Modules (the number of these things is low so it is
>affordable), while having fields for interfaces, etc. This may be not
>beautiful with regard to uniform schema design but may be
>quite a practical
>solution.

I'm willing to accept a uniformily of implementation argument for doing
things your way.  Could you send me a diff against the specdb for the
modules and library tables?  I'd like to get my lsbcc patch in and not
have it tied to a larger specdb merge.

>I appreciate any opinions regarding these alternatives.
>
>BTW, does the linkage between Libraries and Architectures
>affect your lsbcc
>work (e.g. a library availability depends on architecture and this
>dependence is specific for each LSB version)?

Do we have situations like this today?  That seems really broken if we
do.

T.