[lsb-discuss] Adding info on major distributions and their components to LSB DB

Victor Kuliamin kuliamin at ispras.ru
Fri Nov 3 09:50:05 PST 2006

Hello.

Ian Murdock formulated the request to add information on major distribution packages and their main components in LSB DB (see http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/lsb-discuss/2006-August/002879.html).
We are now planning to add such information.

First on DB schema changes.
The proposed schema of the tables to be added is as follows.

It means that both components and distribution packages will have identifiers, names and versions (represented as mere strings).
The relation between components and distributions showing make-up of a distribution will be N-to-N.
Components also will be in N-to-N relations with the libraries contained and the commands provided.
Both components and distributions will have N-to-N links with the architectures, on which they are available.

We would appreciate any notes and opinions on the change proposed.

As for the contents of these tables, we plan to add the following distributions (versioned, of course):
Debian
Mandriva Corporate Server
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
Ubuntu

And the following components (versioned):
glibc
pam
zlib
ncurses
libstdc++
xorg-x11-libs
gtk
gtk2
pango
libpng
libjpeg
libxml2
qt3
qt4

If anybody has other good candidates for components and distribution packages that should be tracked in LSB DB, we would appreciate this information.

Sincerely Yours,
Victor Kuliamin

Institute for System Programming
Russian Academy of Sciences