[lsb-discuss] Motif and LSB

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Thu Nov 16 09:04:17 PST 2006

(Old thread, new subject, catching up on email still :-)

So, Mats is correct in that there's really not much we can do
for this ISV *today* given the fact that the LSB doesn't include
Motif and that the existing Motif library isn't LSB compliant.

There's a couple of things we could do to make the LSB more relevant
to this ISV though. One is that we could add Motif to the LSB,
perhaps even to LSB 3.2. One question to answer there is whether
Motif ships in the major distros. I was under the impression that
just about all the distributions have been removing it, but I
could be wrong. If this is indeed true, then Motif isn't an LSB
candidate, because we only standardize things that are best
practice in the Linux world as defined by what the distros ship.

If it is indeed the case that Motif isn't shipping in the distros anymore,
a question for the ISV is how they deal with this. I'm assuming they'd
either statically link or bundle the shared object. In this case, the
key would be to get the Motif library LSB compliant, so they can
bundle it and still be considered LSB compliant. We can either
do this by working with the provider of the library (is it still
the Open Group?) to make it compliant, or we could
change the LSB to make it compliant, if that's appropriate here.

[Note: I'm now seeing Alan's comments about static linking.. Makes
sense and looks like bundling the shared object is the best way to
go here.]

Of course, the larger issue is how prevalent this will be as we go
out and talk to ISVs, particularly those coming from the Unix world.
If the use of Motif is still widespread, and ISVs generally have no
interest in moving to Gtk and Qt (as Adobe, Real, and others
we are working with have done), then we need to find a good solution
for the Motif issue. Naturally, we'll have to weigh this
with the other urgent matters that we're currently dealing with too. :-)

Any thoughts on what to do here?

-ian
--
Ian Murdock