[lsb-discuss] Motif and LSB

Dallman, John jgd at ugs.com
Thu Nov 16 09:35:07 PST 2006

Ian Murdock [mailto:imurdock at imurdock.com] wrote:

> One question to answer there is whether Motif ships in
> the major distros. I was under the impression that just
> about all the distributions have been removing it, but I
> could be wrong.
> ... a question for the ISV is how they deal with this.

I guess I'm the ISV in question.

The distros we take an interest in at present are SUSE
Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise. Both ship it; SUSES
install it by default, and Red Hat don't. We tell the
customers to install it, and they are, so far, willing
to do so.

One should note that this is fairly expensive software,
in a market segment where the usual reason for adopting
Linux seems to be superior price-performance over
commercial UNIX, while retaining UNIX-style usage and
sysadmin.

> I'm assuming they'd either statically link or bundle
> the shared object.

We have not done this so far. We would naturally prefer
that Motif was standardised. Bundling Motif would be a
whole lot less work than re-writing the user interface.
Qt would be more interesting to us than Gtk, because
Qt also runs on Mac OS X without X-Windows.

> Of course, the larger issue is how prevalent this will
> be as we go out and talk to ISVs, particularly those
> coming from the Unix world. If the use of Motif is still
> widespread, and ISVs generally have no interest in moving
> to Gtk and Qt (as Adobe, Real, and others> we are working
> with have done)

Use of Motif is widespread for UNIX ISVs. ISVs who are selling
software that one might describe as "industrial" rather than
"consumer" tend not be looking to redesign user interfaces
frequently.

I think our user interface folks would see recoding the
user interface for Qt as "overhead" work rather than
"sales-creating" work. Our customers tend to be functionality-
orientated; when I talk to Apple, I find it hard to get
over to them just how much the "Oooh! Cool!" factor doesn't
apply. This is largely because CAD software is never used
by "business decision-makers" (aka pointy-haired types).

--
John Dallman, Parasolid Porting Engineer, +44-1223-371554