[lsb-discuss] Motif and LSB

Jiri Dluhos jdluhos at suse.cz
Thu Nov 16 10:02:58 PST 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 18:04, Ian Murdock spoke thusly:
> (Old thread, new subject, catching up on email still :-)
>
> So, Mats is correct in that there's really not much we can do
> for this ISV *today* given the fact that the LSB doesn't include
> Motif and that the existing Motif library isn't LSB compliant.
>
> There's a couple of things we could do to make the LSB more relevant
> to this ISV though. One is that we could add Motif to the LSB,
> perhaps even to LSB 3.2. One question to answer there is whether
> Motif ships in the major distros.

Hi everyone,

just my 2 cents...

I believe Motif should not be promoted to any further standard if at all
possible, quite the contrary - I would prefer burying it on crossroads, or
burning it in the middle of a pentagram.

Sorry for harsh words but in my opinion, Motif is a horribly obsolete library
and applications using it look extremely ugly; they cannot be themed and I
seriously doubt they can co-work with more recent features of the X desktop
(read "features invented in this century").  When an unprepared user sees a
Motif application, she suffers a serious shock and may even come to
conclusion that all Linux applications are that crappy.

The Motif API is also not exactly the state-of-the art. I think if a company
is still using Motif for its commercial applications, they should seriously
consider updating their tools.

Best regards,

    Jiri Dluhos

Jiri Dluhos, LSB development           jdluhos at suse.cz
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                     http://www.suse.cz
Lihovarska 1060/12                     +420 296 542 384
190 00 Praha 9
Czech Republic