[lsb-discuss] Motif and LSB

Scott Baeder baeder at cadence.com
Thu Nov 16 10:42:04 PST 2006

Thanks for the pointer.  I know that over time, we are migrating to a
much more Qt based UI process - both for new things, and as it makes
sense to "overhaul" things...But, John's original comment is very true
in this application space...

> >> I think our user interface folks would see recoding the
> >> user interface for Qt as "overhead" work rather than
> >> "sales-creating" work.

And it's not just an internal issue...Our customers see it the same way!
They would rather have new functionality to help solve a real problem
(after all, some customers pay upwards of $60-100 Million per year for
EDA and CAD tools) than just making it LSB compliant by recoding the UI.
Today, we "manage" by restricting OS support, which so far is completely
OK with our customer base.

On the other hand, if we can gain compliance (with a positive ROI by
reducing development costs and increasing customer satisfaction/choice)
by some fairly simple means (or even some simple known caveats) we would
LOVE to do that.

Scott

Scott Baeder                          Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
Senior Architect                      270 Billerica Rd,
Chelmsford, MA 01824.
Tel (978) 262-6299 (MA)               Fax (978) 262-6777 (MA)
    (408) 944-7785 (SJ)               Cell (508) 331-1530