[lsb-discuss] Motif and LSB

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Nov 16 13:46:33 PST 2006

Jiri Dluhos wrote:
> Sorry for harsh words but in my opinion, Motif is a horribly obsolete library
> and applications using it look extremely ugly; they cannot be themed and I
> seriously doubt they can co-work with more recent features of the X desktop
> (read "features invented in this century").  When an unprepared user sees a
> Motif application, she suffers a serious shock and may even come to
> conclusion that all Linux applications are that crappy.

Theming has been added to Motif many times in the UNIX world - CDE
and IRIX both offer themes different from the standard Motif look
and were used to provide a custom look for those platforms.  Nothing
would prevent a developer (or the Open Group) from providing a version
of Motif that was themed to match any of the major Linux distro
themes.

Modern versions of Motif also support UTF-8 and the various
freedesktop.org standards, so Motif applications can coexist nicely
with GTK+, KDE, and other toolkits on Linux.  The only issue is the
look of Motif applications, and that can be addressed if the Linux
distro or ISV wants to support Motif with a "native" theme.