[lsb-discuss] Motif and LSB

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Nov 16 13:54:08 PST 2006

Robert Schweikert wrote:
>> Use of Motif is widespread for UNIX ISVs. ISVs who are selling
>> software that one might describe as "industrial" rather than
>> "consumer" tend not be looking to redesign user interfaces
>> frequently.
>
> I'd like to chime in on this one, just to provide a data point. We
> dumped Motif years ago based on the following reasoning. We needed to
> support Unix, Linux and M$ and we were not going to maintain two sets of
> GUI code. Thus a toolkit which abstracts at a low level was needed since
> emulation through Exceed or other products did not provide the
> performance or quality we were looking for.

We also dumped Motif (must be 8 years ago now...) for a cross-
platform toolkit (FLTK, as it happens).  Aside from wanting to
support multiple platforms with one set of code, we also ran into
binary compatibility issues with the Solaris Motif (changes between
Solaris 2.5.x and 2.6 broke binary compatibility...) and general
performance issues (Motif, like GTK+, can get really slow for complex
UIs).