[lsb-discuss] LSB fonts

Camp, TracyX E tracyx.e.camp at intel.com
Fri Nov 17 07:59:26 PST 2006

I believe I could pretty much do the font availability tests as a
consequence of Xft testing.  However, it is entirely unclear to me how
to specify a font in a formal specification however.

Part of the Xft tests I'm working on including rendering a variety of
UTF-8 strings and doing a bitmap comparision against a reference set of
renderings (even if we mandated fonts in LSB the tests will still need
to use a controlled set of fonts for these tests in order to ensure this
continues to work even if the fonts are revised).  This doesn't
necissarily mean the fonts look good or are even correct - I only read
english.

As for what we might possibly mandate, we have a bewildering array of
choices:

http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/ - free font project (true type fonts)
aims to replace the msft core fonts package.  Unclear how widely
distributed these are in distros.
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/ - Bitstream Vera
http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page - Derivitive of
Bitstream Vera
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html - Unicode fonts for X11
(fixed point X11 style fonts)
... (I'm sure I've missed at least one important source of fonts here)

Personally I'd propose simply mandating that X11 ucs fonts since these
are already defacto in the xorg distribution and do provide full utf-8
coverage.  The truetype/opentype fonts certain look better, but this
might be a case of settling for what is easy to do and at least be able
to guarantee that UTF-8 rendering will work.

t.