[lsb-discuss] Linux distributions and LSBcertification/compliance status

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Mon Nov 20 23:17:42 PST 2006

Robert Schweikert writes...

> > >No. To claim compliance, you only have to pass the tests. Certification
> > >involves filing the test results with the Free Standards Group (see
> > >http://www.freestandards.org/en/Certification). You can only
> > >use the LSB Certified mark and logo on packaging,
> > >marketing materials, etc., if you are certified (naturally).
> >
> > If there was any demand for it, we could certainly set
> > up a voluntary repository for results.  While this was
> > talked about in the past, there hasn't actually been
> > any demand for it that I know about.
>
> I think this would be a great idea. Since Novell, RedHat and others will
> most likely only go through the certification process for their
> commercial offerings it would be nice to have a place to post test
> results for the community based distributions.
>
> Once we get to the point the LSB run time test becomes an easy to follow
> process I could imagine that members of the community would post results
> for their distributions.

Did anything ever happen with this? It's still a good idea I think. While
people could just dump links in the wiki it might be more valuable to have
something that asks a few questions and then accepts the journal file and
generates useful comparisons, like a list of how many distros fail a
particular test etc. I think it should also be able to capture beta test
runs (before things are fixed) and not just final cert results. That way if
a tester sees a particular failure they might be able to see that other
distros hit that problem too but then fixed it and then they know who to
ask for a patch :) That's the kind of data that has been super useful in
the past and was either discovered by pounding your head on the problem or
asking in IRC at just the right time.

--
Matt Taggart        Open Source & Linux Organization R&D
taggart at fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard