[lsb-discuss] Motif and LSB

Bill Campbell lsb at celestial.com
Tue Nov 21 12:42:54 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006, Jeff Licquia wrote:
>On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 17:35 +0000, Dallman, John wrote:
>> The distros we take an interest in at present are SUSE
>> Enterprise and Red Hat Enterprise. Both ship it; SUSES
>> install it by default, and Red Hat don't. We tell the
>> customers to install it, and they are, so far, willing
>> to do so.
>
>OpenMotif is considered non-free by Debian, which will present obstacles
>to mandating it in the LSB.  I can say with a good degree of certainty
>that Debian will cease its support of the LSB if Motif is required,
>unless that support is limited to the functionality in lesstif.  This
>will likely have consequences for derivatives, most notably Ubuntu.

How many software packages require Motif in any case?

Looking at all the packages in the OpenPKG portable packaging
system that require lesstif, there are very few:

	ddd -- graphical front end to gdb, perl, etc.
	mgv -- a Motif based PostScript viewer
	xpdf -- an open source viewer for PDF files.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

``But how is this legal plunder to be identified? Quite simply. See if the
law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other
persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at
the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without
committing a crime.'' -- Frederic Bastiat, The Law