[lsb-discuss] Lesstif and libXt.a

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Nov 22 06:52:33 PST 2006

Sigh... didn't read carefully enough.

I had said:

>You can't use the shared LSB libXt?

But of course that was already answered:

>>I've been trying to port an open-source Motif application to LSB but
>>ran into trouble getting Lesstif to be LSB compliant.  Lesstif used
>>private interfaces in libXt which aren't of course in the LSB spec.

We've run into a few other places where this happens.
There are also some private Xlib interfaces that pop
up from time to time.  These aren't ever supposed to
be used by applications, so they're not in the spec;
if they're used by libraries within a distribution,
that's fine as long as those libraries present the required
LSB interfaces - that just becomes an "implementation
detail" that the LSB doesn't care about.

So there is indeed a little bit of a dilemma in this
situation where there are some libraries in the LSB
set, and some not.