[lsb-discuss] Lesstif and libXt.a

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 22 07:04:41 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> We've run into a few other places where this happens.
> There are also some private Xlib interfaces that pop
> up from time to time.  These aren't ever supposed to
> be used by applications, so they're not in the spec;
> if they're used by libraries within a distribution,
> that's fine as long as those libraries present the required
> LSB interfaces - that just becomes an "implementation
> detail" that the LSB doesn't care about.
>
> So there is indeed a little bit of a dilemma in this
> situation where there are some libraries in the LSB
> set, and some not.

Sure.  I've done a lot of thinking about this from an apps-porting
perspective in the last week or so, without coming up with any
solution that worked.  I've tried quite a few ways to get around
this problem in the last few days and have been unsuccessful, so
that's why I'm asking here now.  I'd like to think I've done my
homework by the time I asked for help.

Is there _any_ solution?  I really just want to port this
application, to make it easier for the users to download it and run.
I don't wish to get into fixing Lesstif and LSB just to port my app.

I haven't looked at the licenses for OpenMotif or Lesstif yet to see
whether we can even package the app (which is GPL) with them in any
way.  Our app works with either OpenMotif or Lesstif, so if
OpenMotif will compile under LSB and the license will allow us to
redistribute, I'll go that way for now.