[lsb-discuss] Lesstif incompatibility

Alan alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Nov 27 12:06:07 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 03:30:33 -0600
George Kraft IV <gk4 at austin.ibm.com> wrote:

> There has been a recent discussion thread regarding Lesstif.  I would
> like to point out that Lesstif is an incomplete and incompatible clone
> of Motif.  True Motif applications should use OpenMotif on open source
> platforms.  I would not put effort into trying to use Lesstif.

That causes serious problems for vendors however because the OpenMotif
generally distributed cannot be used in combination with any OS component
that is not open source.

"The rights granted under this license are limited solely to distribution
and sublicensing of the Contribution(s) on, with, or for operating
systems which are themselves Open Source programs"

That means you have to inform customers that using OpenMotif with Nvidia
drivers is a license violation (as one simple example).

In the longer term the even bigger issues are that neither OpenMotif nor
Lesstif fully meet accessibility requirements, and neither of them
support many languages that are becoming important in the world.

Alan