[lsb-discuss] x86_64 binary RPMs for both AMD and Intel 64-bit distos?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Nov 29 11:38:10 PST 2006

>> Apparently, most Intel 64 bit chips also support "EMT64T", which is
>> nearly the same as x86_64 (amd64), or at least compatible as
>> far as gcc is concerned.
>
>The Intel x86_64 clone is pretty good. There should be no problems
>except with hand coded assembler using prefetchw and similar
>instructions. You have to try quite hard to build a package that only
>works on one or the other.

And the LSB specification attempts to (I'm not sure the work is
completely done/correct, since it hasn't really been stressed)
include only the subset that is common.  Rather than needing
special compiler options to make it compatible, you pretty much
need the special compiler options to make it incompatible.