[lsb-discuss] Possible license issue with libchk bug fix

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Mon Oct 9 20:42:17 PDT 2006

At 2006/10/9 11:29-0700  Wichmann, Mats D writes:

> >IIRC the FSG holds the copyright to the code for libchk, so it would
> >be possible just to relicense it under the GPL.
> >
> >Is there any reason for not doing so?
>
> Just to be pedantic, files in the tests/misc area have
> individual-contributor copyrights on them, and FSG has
> *not* enforced copyright assignment to FSG.
>
> So relicensing without permissions does not seem
> to be appropriate.

Hmm. Some of them (libchk) do seem to have copyright assigned to the
FSG - I though that this is the way we were meant to be accepting
contributions anyway? It is certainly a whole lot easier for when we
may need to consider changing the licensing on the code.

If there are parts which haven't had copyright assigned to the FSG we
could ask for it, or at least ask for their contributions to be dual
licensed. I'm guessing we'll have more luck getting a resolution this
way than asking the FSF for an exception.

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group, ADL
Canberra, Australia