[lsb-discuss] [Desktop_architects] The reason Adobe does not want to port, Photoshop?

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Thu Oct 12 23:59:49 PDT 2006

Nerazzurri writes...

> Though the photoshop developer has some misunderstanding,
> bug as a ISV developer, his opinion about linux is worth for
> our attentions.

Adobe likes the Windows/propriatary ISV model and they are very good at it
and have been very successful with that model. The open source model (even
if you are a propriatary application on an open system) is quite a bit
different and it is unclear if they are able and willing to use that model
as well.

Free software API developers and standards efforts such as freedesktop.org,
LSB, etc. should strive to make it easy for application developers (free,
proprietary, etc.) to create/build/port/deploy/support our platform. But we
are not trying to recreate the Windows/propriatary model and we should
resist any attempts to turn Linux based systems into Windows (regardless of
how many commercial applications it might bring to the platform). Not that
any one effort would be able to make that happen anyway, that would
probably just get you ignored by the rest of the community. Adding things
that make life easier for developers is good, adding things soley to copy
an inferior model is not. (For example: giving developers and users an easy
way to install applications is good, copying the crappy Windows
InstallShield method to do so is not).

Adobe's existing model it working well for them and supporting the open
source model(in addition or as an alternative) represents risk and possibly
reduced revenue for them in the near term. I suspect they won't embrace the
new model until the old one goes away, which it probably how the Adobe
shareholders like it (but see Innovator's Dilemma). There is some truth to
the technical excuses we are hearing, but clearly it's possible to create
quality applications for Linux based platforms, even of the type that Adobe
specializes in, we've got plenty of examples.

As you pointed out, the Adobe developers has some misunderstandings. The
LSB workgroup would love to help them understand how to develop on LSB
platforms and we've love to hear concrete suggestions about interfaces they
need and how things could be made easier. They are really good at what they
do, and I'm sure they have some great ideas. But comments about how Linux
isn't like Windows isn't going to help anyone.

$0.02,

--
Matt Taggart        Open Source & Linux Organization R&D
taggart at fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard