[lsb-discuss] browsing bzr via the web

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Sun Oct 22 21:35:38 PDT 2006

Hi,

In the past I used to use the web front end to the LSB cvs to browse and
also to point others at things (like when filing a bug against a distro for
failing a test, I like to point at the test source).

I'm trying to browse bzr like I used to do when things were in cvs, and the
web front end seems to be pretty limited. I particular I was trying to
browse test s source. I started at,

http://bzr.freestandards.org/lsb/devel/runtime-test

but that wasn't showing me what I expected. Aha! I have to click on
"inventory" to get a list of contents, why isn't that default? Check in
comments are interesting but why not do like the cvs frontends and list
then to the right of the inventory stuff (or something).

Ok, clicked on inventory and I see what I was expecting. Surfed to what I
was looking for,

http://bzr.freestandards.org/lsb/devel/runtime-test?cmd=content;rev=ajosey-2
0011121122417-6ad11dd42b8bfa65;pathrevid=mats-20060802194851-0c16ce8ff551b50
9;path=modules/vsx-pcts/DOCS/vsx-pcts-faq.html

(that horible url points to the latest version of "/modules/vsx-pcts/DOCS/vs
x-pcts-faq.html" under the "lsb/devel/runtime-test" module)

OK, I see it sort of marked up (not as useful as blame markup, just lines
numbered and background alternating with lines). But it's an html file so
I'd like to look at it. Hmm, how do I do that? Try clicking on "raw" at the
top, I get prompted by my browser what to do with the file. Hmm, I guess
the server didn't set the mime type to be text/html, so the browser doesn't
know. Save it to a file and try to view it, the content is not the same
file, but some Open Group web page with a bunch of errors.

OK, I give up. How is this supposed to work.

I'm sure bzr lets us do awesome things that cvs wouldn't, but this is a
regression. Are there other bzr web front ends out there we could try?

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart        Open Source & Linux Organization R&D
taggart at fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard