[lsb-discuss] Packaging

Jiri Dluhos jdluhos at suse.cz
Mon Oct 23 01:38:26 PDT 2006

On Saturday 21 October 2006 21:47, Alexey Eremenko spoke thusly:
> hi all !
>
> before I begin lets learn two terms:
> -first package manager (=distro-specific-PM) (=base PM)
> -second package manager (=LSB-PM)
>
> I thought about package managers recently.
>
> I think that by converting packages (from second to first, like
> alien), it would be hard to achieve good stability.
>
> I came to conclusion that second package manager must exist, with only
> few mandatory packages installed already, those are:
>
> 1. LSB
> 2. LSB-Desktop

Hi all :-)

Well, call me narrow-minded traditionalist if you want :-) but I think having
two package managers is a way to Hell. One such beast is more than enough.
Imagine all problems a package manager has to solve:

* presenting packages to the user in a concise and understandable structure
* a fast and effective search in packages
* effective storage of package metadata, allowing for fast searches
* secure and reliable online updating system
* atomic installation/deinstallation process with safe fallbacks

Now multiply all this by two, plus significantly more trouble coming from
interactions from these two. That would open a new dimension of horror.

(Note that I know what I'm talking about - we have much fun with our package
installer here in Novell. Having two of them, our packagers team would
probably commit suicide right now.)

Best regards,

    Jiri Dluhos

Jiri Dluhos, LSB development           jdluhos at suse.cz
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                     http://www.suse.cz
Lihovarska 1060/12                     +420 296 542 384
190 00 Praha 9
Czech Republic