[lsb-discuss] Packaging

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 08:47:29 PDT 2006

> If I understand you correctly, for third-party packages, we should
> create an API to manipulate them and leave it up to the distros to
> implement it?  I'm all for having API's for programmatic manipulation,
> but creating a full set of API's is just a package manager that is
> driven by API instead of user interaction.  Although we could just
> specify the API and not give an implementation, my experience has been
> that API's that were standardized without a reference implementation are
> terrible.

So speaking about PM APIs - where it will be different than current
Debian's Alien ?

How good is Debian's Alien (plz give links to articles) ? (sorry I'm
openS-user :)

Actually you want to:

a. make Alien's concept of package conversion the  "standard LSB way"
b. document Alien's APIs
c. implement those APIs on other distros - Slackware, Gentoo, etc... ?

Or am I mistaken?