[lsb-discuss] [Desktop_architects] Third party packaging

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 00:26:36 PDT 2006

Actually you don't have to choose between them. You can use both of them.

That is, klik can use Autopackages, RPMs, or DEBs, so klik is highter-level.
You can run klik on top of Autopackage. (read klik's FAQ for that feature)

klik packages - while can be "clicked" - i.e. behave *like*
executables, are not really executables - that is - they are much
closer to "zip" in their nature than to "exe". This allows you to open
klik package manualy with command line tools, and see it's contents.

I don't know the structure of Autopackages. (maybe they are real executables).

We can use Autopackage coding concepts to push among developers - so
they start make their apps relocatable. It will ease the work of klik
later.

Make something like "LSB coding recommendations" :)

Generally I liked klik very much, except that it's not always very
portable to different distros. Let's say - it requires human-labour,
it's not automatically works on all distros. (this is where LSB should
help)