[lsb-discuss] Packaging

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Oct 27 06:21:59 PDT 2006

>OK, some questions for discussion, with my answers in-line:
>
>1. Do we continue using the RPM format for user installs?
>
>    Mike Sweet: I think so, the format supports relocation

Supports, but for a variety of reasons, does not make
it easy.

To begin with, it's not that easy to make a a relocatable
package - we've seen a number of failures when people
forget that there can be no hard-wired paths to other
components of your software package.

Most particularly, the fact that there is no way for a
package to portably (well, in a standards-specified way)
set things up to find new shared libraries, the use of
rpath to point to application-supplied shared libraries
is implicitly suggested; and this means those cannot
easily be relocated at install time.