[lsb-discuss] Packaging

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 07:43:53 PDT 2006

Mike Sweet wrote:
> 2. Where do we put user installs?
>
> Mike Sweet: A subdirectory off the user's home directory, e.g.
> "~/.apps" or "~/.root".

If this is defined can "~/.etc"  or "~/config" for all user
configuration files also be defined.
My users can never understand why they have so many files when they
switch on show hidden files (ok, I should stop them, but sometimes they
can fix things without me if I do not).
They run into this because as it stands all software just uses the root
of their home to dump stuff, sometimes even not hidden.
If there was a location defined I think even the distros and projects
would start to use it.
Some sort of definition would make the users life far easier, and limit
the amount applications can spread over a users home directory.

Regards,

Chris.