[lsb-discuss] Packaging

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Oct 27 08:51:21 PDT 2006

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>>> Supports, but for a variety of reasons, does not make
>>> it easy.
>> Right, the application must also support relocation, and IIRC RPM
>> allows you to specify whether the package may be relocated via the
>> Prefix tag.  No prefix tag means the package is only system-
>> installable.  The default is no prefix tag, so by default packages
>> are not relocatable.
>
> Yes, that's right.  If you then want to relocate the package,
> you have to supply the value for prefix to rpm, which AFAIK
> the higher-level installers (yum, rhn, etc.) don't know how to
> do (I'm probably wrong here).

I think you're right, but FWIW if we add support for user installs
we'll need to add some more infrastructure for it anyways - updates
to the GUIs, to rpm to use the system db for dependencies, or just
copy/mirror the system db into the user's db, etc. - so we're all
just waving our hands right now... :)