[lsb-discuss] Packaging

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Oct 27 10:49:57 PDT 2006

[Rats, forgot to "reply all"...]

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>> Most particularly, the fact that there is no way for a
>> package to portably (well, in a standards-specified way)
>> set things up to find new shared libraries, the use of
>> rpath to point to application-supplied shared libraries
>> is implicitly suggested; and this means those cannot
>> easily be relocated at install time.
>
> Does rpath only support absolute paths or is it also possible to use
> paths relative to the location of the binary? That would make things a
> lot easier.

Bill Spitzak (one of the FLTK developers) recently posted the
following tidbit:

     Another handy Linux hint if you want to put everything into an
     install directory is to add this to your link arguments:

         -Wl,-rpath,'${ORIGIN}'

     This will make the program look in it's own directory for any
     shared libraries first, so you can also put them in there as well.

Another resource:

     http://www.scons.org/wiki/UsingOrigin

A quick look at the ld.so on my RHEL4 system shows support for
LD_ORIGIN_PATH, ORIGIN_PATH, and ORIGIN, however only LD_ORIGIN_PATH
is documented...