[lsb-discuss] LSB conference call agenda (Tuesday, September 5, 11am ET)

Dallman, John jgd at ugs.com
Tue Sep 5 06:16:46 PDT 2006

>   - LSB SDK: What do ISVs want to see re workflow? Today, we
>     provide a compiler wrapper and a chroot build environment. Both
>     approaches seem overly heavyweight to me--if it were me,
>     I wouldn't want to change either the compiler or the build environment.

I'm an ISV working with this stuff. We find changing the compiler
perfectly acceptable, although the chroot environment isn't.

>     Could we implement something that could be more seamlessly
>     embedded in existing build processes, such as post-processors
>     that check object code created by the compiler and that causes
>     the build to fail if there are problems?

That one sounds kind of hard. You need to be able to decode system
calls, essentially completely: you're doing something equivalent to
checking if an image would run on a system that had only the LSB
facilities available.

>   - LSB SDK: What additional tools should we provide in the LSB SDK?
>     A tool that makes it easy to build packages? A tool that makes
>     it easy to bundle up external dependencies? A tool that makes
>     it possible to target multiple LSB versions with a single package
>     (e.g., so ISVs can support LSB 3.0 and RHEL 3 in one package)?

None of those are particularly interesting to us, although we
may well be atypical, because we provide libraries, rather than
applications, and we provide them to ISVs rather than end-users.
So end-user packaging is entirely under the control of our ISVs,
and we don't get involved.

We'd like the appcheck and libcheck tools bundled with the SDK, and
we'd like the compiler wrappers to be a bit smarter about the options
they see and libraries they include, so that we can build IA-32
and AMD64 LSB code on the same machine. Currently, one can install
either the IA-32 or the AMD64 versions of the SDK on a machine,
but not both, and it doesn't seem to be possible to build IA-32
with the AMD64 LSBCC.

--
John Dallman, Parasolid Porting Engineer, +44-1223-371554