[lsb-discuss] LSB conference call agenda (Tuesday, September 5, 11am ET)

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Sep 5 06:55:39 PDT 2006

>Fair enough. Does it matter if the project uses autoconf (I suspect
not,
>given that you can still probaby do CC=lsbcc for most projects). Does
>lsbcc work with non-gcc compilers?

Yes.  lsbcc will look for an environment variable that names
the compiler, if absent it uses "cc".  This does work well
for alternate versions of gcc; we don't have a lot of experience
with other compilers but as lsbcc grew up on gcc it depends on
how compatible the command lines are.  In other words, it's
likely there will be a few bugs to iron out.

>Do we know if autoconf/gcc are the common case?

Depends on what your sample set is. For open-source type apps, yes.
I suspect for many closed source apps, no - but I don't have the
source to look at :-)  Anyway, that thinking is part of the reason
for the alternative "buildenv" and you don't have to change compiler.

>If the technique below doesn't work well for
>non-autoconf/non-gcc projects, and that's the common case, then
>we should continue discussing this. If autoconf/gcc are the
>common case, then the solution we have today sounds sufficient.

Need data to proceed effectively here.